Saturday, June 13, 2009

Flight Over

I’m sitting on Asiana flight 235. I have been flying for what I guess has been ten hours already sancwiched between a cloudy window and two politely smiling Koreans. The flight has been all together not aweful for the … twelve? Hours that I have been flying so far. (I am looking at the clock on my laptop which says 10:57 am, I believe this is still set to EST). Things can’t be all that bad when you’re asleep, though I have reached the point where it takes far more effort to stay asleep than it does to decide you’re up and might as well do something.

The travel agent called me at 1:30 yesterday morning to tell me that he had booked my flight and that I would be leaving the next day from the Detroit Airport at 7:30. Finally, there was some momentum to this after a weekend of excitedly and timidly waiting for a call that would suddenly make this all real. The best way I can think of to describe the feeling is to compare it to a roller coaster. You know you’re on the ride and buckled in, but that only somewhat prepares you for the “oh shit” excitement and thoughts of “what the hell did I get myself into?” as you stall at the top of the first hill.

Well the answer is still that I have no idea. Things will be interesting, tough, and hopefully worth reading about. I am hoping to brush up on my Korean for the last few hours of the flight as it so far consists only of hello, thank you, and bimimbap (delicious, order it next time you’re at a Korean restaurant). I realize that there will be someone picking me up at the airport, and that Nate and Adam will be able to help a little bit when they’re around me, but it’s a little bit terrifying to realize that you’re not going to be able to communicate or understand the majority of people that you meet on a day to day basis. Oh well, that is much of the excitement. As Di and I were talking the other day, you can’t take yourself that seriously when you’re pantomiming what you want to order for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment